A decentralized NFT Registry for physical devices.
OBADA, the “Open Blockchain for Asset Disposition Architecture” is an open protocol to provide a standard method for creating NFTs for physical objects, and a decentralized NFT data registry in which to store them.
- The OBADA Standard defines an open algorithmic method to create an NFT for any physical object based on serial numbers and other human-readable information. These NFTs are called OBITs.
- The OBIT Registry stores NFT data and is the result of a three year effort by a coalition from the IT asset disposition (ITAD) industry to create a sort of “ecosystem as a service” to enable on-chain tracking end-of-life asset disposition services such as proof of data destruction, reuse, and recycling.
- OBADA is working with ISO to standardize the data model for physical NFTs to create an interoperable layer-1 independant NFT data repository as a foundational infrastructure component for the provable sharing of physical asset data between asset disposition systems and layer-1 blockchains.
- View the OBADA Executive Summary
- Details on the token-economic model
- The plan for about OBD token issuance and allocation
- A commentary on token-economic inflationary and deflationary forces
- View the nomenclature used by OBADA
- Explore the registry demo
- View the blockchain explorer
- Read the OBADA Standard
- About the OBADA DAO
- About the OBADA Foundation
A Physical NFT is like a decentralized “Carfax” which lives at univeral address and holds any and all data about a device; service records, ownership history, a record of ownership (anonymized), and even an IOT endpoint for accessing the device.
An OBIT NFT can also hold money in the form of OBD. OBD is attached to OBITs pays not only for platform fees but also for platform-defined asset disposition serviceslike drive wiping, refurbishment for reuse, and recycling.
Update the graphic * DEVICE DATA: documents, component changes, service records, etc. proof of authenticity, etc. * HUMAN DATA: Proof of Ownership (the "Deed") and chain of custody. * All actors are anonymous and only identifiable via the Registered Agent of their choice, which is the mechanism for legal compliance.. in case the FBI Calls. * EOL Events: drive wipes, proof of reusue, proof of recycling. Asset disposition KPIs (key performance indicators) * Built in DeFI yield mechanism: Staking OBITS with OBIT returns a financial dividend via platform rewards.
A physical NFT needs to have a connection to the real-world object. Only a transitory connection can be made to upload machine-read or human-read) data, but a permanent connectoin is needed for enabling an IOT endpoint.
use Techspec USB-stick image
The Physical Layer
* Machine-read software * Label Scanning software * Human input
The OBIT NFT Data Registry
use some database icon
A decentralized registry for storing standardized physical NFT asset data.
Ethereum-based OBIT NFTs
use ETH icon
An oracle connects a standard ERC-721 NFT (or any layer-1 blockchain or supply chain system) as an intereoperability bridge to the physical object itself.
OBADA is in effect an “ecosystem as a service” which enables the real-world to register devices and prepay ITADs for future end-of-life service. But OBADA is also a foundational infrascture component for blockchain supply chain systesm.
The Asset Disposition Sector
OBADA gives ITADS a new "decentralized chain of custody services" to sell to provide end users to provide proof of data destrubtion, functionality, reuse, and recycling.
By enabling physical NFTs, OBADA provides an L1-independant foundational infrastructure component to connect from supply-chain focused blockchains and enterprise DLT systems.
Manufacturers and "forward" supply chains
As a foundational traceability tool, OBADA enables manufacturers are "user-side" supply chain systems to **track their products from cradle to grave** and even **pre-pay for asset disposition services** when the device is created or put into use.
Academics, Researchers, Governments
As a foundational traceability tool, OBADA will provide academic and governmental researchers with good data so they can tackle the e-waste problem. OBADA also provides foundational financial methods for the development of modern, blockchain-based EPR (Extended Producer Responsibility) systems.
The Recycling world
By enabling enterprises and organizations to tokenize their EOL IT assets, companies will be able to trust their devices are processed correctly to avoid data breaches, for environmental responsibility, and to achieve maximum resale value when the asset is retired.
OBADA is neither a traditional “real-world” organization nor a modern “onb-chain DAO”. Physical NFTs require both side. The real-world side is governed by a traditional foundation. The “blockchain” side is run by a DAO.
The OBADA Foundation 501(c)6
- An industry coalition from the asset disposition sector.
- Handles "real-world" issues.
- Responsible for:
- Standard development
- Industry relations
- Initial development
- Off-chain governance model
The OBADA DAO
- A Wyoming DAO LLC
- 7 current members. 100 max.
- Responsible for:
- Vote on improvements and changes
- Vote on fees and rewards
- A 501c(6) steward of the OBADA Standard and the “real-world” interface for hte DAO.
- Read about the OBADA Foundation
- The OBIT Registry is not “owned” by anyone. There is no company and no central authority. The OBADA DAO is incorporated as a Wyoming DAO LLC, and is open to any actor inthe asset disposition sector who wishes to participate in running the platform and receving a share of the revenue it generates.
- DAO members** run the nodes, vote on all platform changes, and set all platform fees and rewards.
- Read about the OBADA DAO
- Staking OBD means locking it up so it cannot be used. Locked OBD shows a commitment to the system.
DAO Members must stake nodes with OBD. End-users and industy actors can stake OBITs with OBD.
- Staking acts both as a funding mechanism for the platform which also generates a financial return for the stakers.
- Fee distribution: All platform fees (charges for using the platform) are voted on by the DAO. The fees are collected and distributed nightly back to the DAO members as profit, proportionally based on stake.
- Urban Recycling Rewards A reward in new OBD is mined” ** issued for each successfully completing an asset disposition KPI (drive wipe, reuse, recycle) on a **staked OBIT. The reward amount is set by the DAO and is distributed to the staker, the actor chain which processed the asset, and the DAO membership at large. This reward is equivablent to a dividend yield on the staked amount.
This decentralied finance concept of staking as applied to this vertical segment provides three main benefits:
- A method for early partipants to fund development of the platform.
- An incentive for DAO members to operate the platform in return for a share of profits and dividends.
- An incentive for end-users to recycle or extend the life of used IT equipment in the form of a dividend on the amount staked to each asset for recycling.
- View Details on the token-economic model
- Read about OBD token issuance and allocation
- View a token-economic discussion of inflationary and deflationary forces
- Join the DAO, stake a node, get paid to run the system
- Get involved with the Foundation to set the standards,
- Join the proof of concept team to start using the decentralized application.