The mission is to build and maintain an open-source blockchain protocol that enables recycling industries, manufacturers, and individuals to track and document information technology (IT) assets from creation through their end-of-life.
The stewards of the system architecture is the OBADA Foundation, a 501c(6) organization whose members consist of the key organizations in the electronics recycling industry, such as trade associations, trading networks, and the providers of key industry software.
OBADA was incorporated in 2019 as a nonprofit corporation in the blockchain-friendly U.S. State of Wyoming. OBADA has no stock, no profits given to individuals, and no private inurement.
To enable information technology supply chain participants to:
- Safeguard ownership of IT assets.
- Track all information technology assets from creation through their end-of-life.
- Control with whom owners share data about their assets.
- Facilitate recycling and the circular economy.
- Build and maintain an open-source blockchain protocol for the IT asset supply chain.
- Provides “proof” of work completed on electronic devices
- Enable provenance of devices, parts and ownership to reduce counterfeits
- Provide IT asset data sharing capabilities across the supply chain
- Enable increased data sharing with network participants including government agencies, manufacturers, retailers, customers, and recyclers
- Creates an industry ecosystem and token economy model to facilitate economic exchange across the entire supply chain
- Validate ownership and prevents counterfeiting
- Verify functionality and quality
- Record events including data wipes, upgrades and location changes on an immutable record
- Pre-pay and ensure payment for services and provide a platform for escrow
- Verify IT assets are sold, donated or recycled.
- Provide an ability to facilitate new industry product solutions to meet circular economy economic challenges
- Create new information-based products/services by sharing data across the supply chain
- Original equipment manufacturers (OEM)
- Asset and data management software companies
- Data wiping and diagnostic software
- Blockchain companies
- Resellers and recyclers
- Creation, documentation and management of the blockchain protocol.
- Node hosting and maintenance
- Outreach and education
- Full-time and part-time employees, as well as contractors, to develop and execute programs that promote reuse, recycling, digital inclusion, and sustainability.
- Operational expenses including the costs of office rent, office amenities, hardware, software, travel and partnership and educational programs.
To promote and drive the ITAD and E-Recycling industry toward a digital, sustainable, responsible economy, OBADA shall:
- Develop and maintain a secure and low cost global transaction network (“OBADA Network”) and protocol (“OBADA Protocol”) that is high quality, scalable, open-source, and publicly accessible to everyone.
- Develop and maintain private tools and services to support the OBADA Network and its users.
- Provide guidance and direction for the OBADA ecosystem.
- Promote adoption of OBADA as a worldwide standard for sharing information about IT asset authenticity, functionality, disposition status, and other data.
- Develop a Digital Asset for the OBADA ecosystem to expand the reach of the network, and create a viable shared economic ecosystem to the benefit of the industry and sustainability initiatives.
- Create and support technical and non-technical partnerships and sustainability initiatives to boost digital inclusion and environmental effort at the national and worldwide level.